The NCAPA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee works to improve diversity, equity, and inclusion within NCAPA and the PA profession through professional development, providing education on health disparities, and outreach to historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs). Committee members serve on the committee as a whole but can also choose to serve on one or more subcommittees:
- DE&I Professional Development works to ensure that 100% of NCAPA leaders and committee members receive annual bias training with the hope that awareness of biases will lead to less harm when interacting with others through policies, hiring practices, etc.
- Health Disparities CME provides recommendations for speakers and content related to health disparities.
- HBCU Outreach works to form productive partnerships with all 11 North Carolina HBCUs to increase visibility of the PA profession and impact diverse recruitment.
Committee Roles and Expectations
The DE&I committee is currently the largest of the NCAPA committees, consisting of two Co-Chairs and 18 additional members. The full committee typically meets an average of four times a year (quarterly) through virtual zoom meetings, with subcommittees meeting every other month or as needed.
The DE&I Committee Chairs are expected to attend all NCAPA board of directors meetings (4-5 times annually) and work with the NCAPA staff liaison to create the annual budget and to assist with planning and board reports.
Committee members are expected to be respectful and open-minded, particularly when having difficult conversations, and to always advocate for DE&I within PA programs and the PA profession at large. They are also expected to attend all committee meetings and review and reply to all committee communications in a timely manner.
Interested in becoming a member of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee? Apply today!
2022 Committee Co-Chairs:
LaDonna Clark, DMSc, PA-C, and Andrea McKinnond, PA-C
- Gayle Bodner, MMS, PA-Cr
- Elizabeth Bunting, PA-C
- Molly Calabria, PA-C
- Aleece Fosnight, PA-C
- Savannah Fusaro, PA-S
- Justin M. Gambini, PA-C
- Jim Hill, M.Ed., PA-C Emeritus, DFAAPA
- Jason Hrdina, PA-C
- Dominique Koomson, PA-C
- Margaret Leddy, PA-C
- Karla Miller, PA-C
- Melissa Murfin, PA-C, PharmD, BCACP
- Julie A Romeis, DMSc, PA-C
- Ginger Sims, PA-C DFAAPA
- Ami Steele, PA-C
- Jessica Veale, PA-C
- Chileatha Wynn, DMSc, MPAS, PA-C
- Destiny Walters, PA-C